I know I know- a day late.... but that is reality for most teachers. Don't sweat it... it always gets done.
😬NEVER ENOUGH TIME😬
There is so much to do in these last few weeks of school- we often forget to think about things from our students’ perspectives.
THEY ARE BUSY TOO✨ Their parents are stressing about summer 🤣 Activities are wrapping up🙌 Summer unknowns are coming 👎 Before you get your knickers in a knot- step back and slow down.
When you find yourself saying ‘I don’t have time’ OR ‘why did’t you do that?’, step back!!!🙌 Things will get done. Students might need a little extra encouragement at this point in the year..... I am sure you do too!
Keep perspective... what is important. This is a great opportunity to prioritize, teach prioritizing, and support kiddos in managing year end stress. In order to do this- you need to take your own advice. Slow down- YOU WILL GET IT DONE..... but focus on the now while you are in it with your students, with your colleagues, and with your families. Ask for a little more time if you need it for paperwork, inputting 'data', and just getting things done. HOWEVER, you need to intentionally avoid the nonsense busyness.... the stuff that really does not matter, but it is easy to pretend it does: social media, swoon-worthy year end tasks, staff room chatter, and worrying about what-ifs.
I will let you in on a secret....NO ONE HAS TIME....especially teachers ;)
Unfortunately, this is not an excuse to not get things done.... or to fret. On the contrary, it is an awesome opportunity to get intentional and focus in order to use your time effectively.
Family, freedom, and fun are what I look forward to...not paperwork, not data input, and not planning.... but I also refuse to sacrifice my professional integrity for my personal gain. This took about 18 years to figure out.....maybe 15! Nonetheless, it took me a lot of time to realize how to 'do it all' without stress (aka NOT doing it all, but still being proud of my professional output).
You always need to have green in your life....the fun, the carefree, the family-time, love & relationships. BUT, most of us need to work or choose to work. Those kiddos or your clients still deserve the best you- and I know you want to give it to them WITHOUT giving up your green. This time in the school year is crucial to get it done and maintain your sanity.... your family and your students are probably struggling to get it done too.
HOW??? 1) Step back and figure out your deadline: mine is June 28
2) Figure out what you need to get done: CHECKLIST TIME
3) What does each task entail? Truthfully entail.... keep it at the basic level NOT the swoon-worthy add sparkles and post it on social media level....
4) Prioritize from smallest to largest (UNLESS you have something that has to get in yesterday!!). This is your snowball......
5) Start knocking off your snowball.... complete the tasks in order of largest to smallest.....it will feeling AMAZING to start crossing items off.... you will pick up momentum and keep rocking.
6) Use your time effectively... 15 minutes of spare time a day? USE IT.... work on the next thing on your checklist. Can you spare 5 minutes of your lunch, what about 10 minutes? If you can, without stress, add a few minutes here and there... things will get done. I promise.
7) BUT- this is the most important part: you need to act with INTENTION in order to stay FOCUSED. You will have choices to make: one choice might keep your TO-DO list dwindling...while the other might be fun. This is the time to focus on you, your stress level, and making each moment of your professional day count... so you can go home and CHILL OUT.